Monday, April 12, 2010

Is anyone listening? Talking to myself..











Hey Family how are you all?!
I am so glad to hear that everyone and their sister knows about my nose hairs but anyone who knows me pretty well already knows its a problem haha. This week was another good week! I am still English deprived but thats ok. Pdays were my usual day to get all the english out but today we ate with the district and I am the only whitey so didnt get to let out my English! I catch myself talking to my self a lot. I now see how dad picked up talking to himself. The only problem is no one ever answers me when I talk so I answer myself and then I realize that I am actually carrying out a conversation with myself and I realize that that is really weird so I try to stop. I catch myself doing it a lot while I am in the bathroom so I have started to read while I am in there to try and stop the cconversaions because it is a little wierd!
This week- Started out weird. Last monday, an Elder in my Zone got hit by a car going 40 mph. The elders that were with him said it was insane and that he got hit so hard. No bones or anything were broken but he is rashed up pretty bad. He is a native and is in the capital right now and they say it will prob be awhile before he returns. The elders he was with were pretty shaken up but know that he was protected.

GOOD NEWS~ Migdalia y Emilio (family cabral) Got married on Weds! Finally it all came together! We committed them to be sealed in a year from now! They got baptized on saturday along with their kid and another kid named pablo that has 18 years! The rama should have about 8 missioneries leaving in a year!
Miguelina is cooking for us.....im going to die..... some of the stuff is pretty sketchy. Even Elder Espinola is scared of some of the stuff! Haha but I just eat it and pray and hope that the food will be blessed because we are trying to help her out. We invited he to accept another date for her baptism (this sat) and when we told her she said that she was talking with her brother right before we came and told him that she wanted to be baptized that exact day... some people say that there are consequences but I choose to believe they are "tender mercies". We just happened to feel like we should ask her and that happened to be the day she decided she was ready. Theres more to life than just consequences.
I realized that I am so greatful to be surrounded by the people here. Everyone loves Christ. Everyone is always thankful. The worst response that I have heard when I have asked someone how there day is was its ok but thanks to God I know tomorrow will be better. A lot of them have hard lives but are always remembering that Christ loves them and they always find things to be grateful for instead of thinking about what they don't have. I wish I could be more like that.
They eat cough drops for candy here... I had gotten used to the idea until i bought a bunch at the store the other day and realized that I am buying cough drops and a candy. That is really weird but then I shrugged my shoulders and said what the heck and bought them anyway.
Elder Espinola completed a year on Friday! We went and bought empanadas to celebrate (i am in love with empanadas) Then for dinner I had four biscochitos or something like that and a liter of coke. They are 5 pesos and have 210 calories each. I had to pee a lot that night.
On saturday a crazy lady that is always asking us to give her stuff stopped us in the street and asked if we were testigos (jehovas witnesses) and elder Espinola said that we were and that she should go to the church of them tomorrow to get the stuff we want haha.. It was really funny but I guess you had to be there.

You will have to let us know if you can get some of the juice stuff Mathias wrote about. Those sound delicious!
How many of the people you baptize stick with the church? As of right now they are all still active!

How many members do they have to get before they can make it into a ward? It is a stake as a whole! I am not sure what the exact numbers are!

Do you feel like you were able to pick up on what people were saying this week any better? I felt like I could talk a lot more this week but wow I still can not understand what they are saying for nothing! It is frustrating but I am trying to just chill and let it come! Someday!

Mothers day i think I call after we are done with working for the day because the domincan mothers day is a different day. so i think I will call about 6 your time 9 here... possible a little earlier or later!
I love you all so much and miss you all sooo much! Thanks for all your love and support!
love
elder wilson

4 comments:

  1. Again with the comments re: bodily functions! And he's worried about my including his nose hair issues last week?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if you've figured out how you're going to call home, but the best way that I found was to borrow a cell phone from one of the members (be sure to borrow the charger also) and buy a few hundred pesos worth of phone card ($5-$10) then phone home and give the phone number to your parents. Incoming calls are free on cell phones there, so they can call you back. Some of the cheapest ways for them to call you back is an internet phone service like jajah.com, google.com/voice, or skype.com.

    I especially liked the borrow a cell phone method, because then my companion could borrow a second cell phone and we could talk to our families at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the pictures! I also love hearing about the people - it is amazing they are so grateful, when to us it seems like they have so little. Very cool. Love hearing about the bodily functions.... :) I bet you all are counting days until Mother's Day - it is the BEST!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you keep us up to date on the important things, but we haven't heard much about sweating or ear wax. Any nasal congestion or excessive flatuance? I'm just concerned, is all.

    On a more serious note, I'm glad Spanish is getting a bit easier. And even if there are some communication barriers, I know they can see your sincerity and love for them. That goes a long way.

    And, if it makes you feel any better, I also talk to myself. A lot. Embrace it, it's therapeutic.

    ReplyDelete